Sunday, May 6, 2012

The Last Long Run... for now.

I ran ten on Saturday and it was horrible, prob second worst run yet. I had an evening out with a good friend the night before and over served myself but I was proud of myself for sticking to my plan and making it work.  I deserved to suffer, it was silly of me to try to drink that much and then run the next day.
So this coming weekend is my first 1/2 marathon. Questions I've been asked:

Q. Are you nervous?
A. Most definitely. I've been working toward this since January 1st and I didn't know it at the time that I would work towards this, it was ultimately a goal to lose weight and become healthier.  I'm glad it has turned into this though.

Q. What have you done to prepare?
A. My shoes don't need replacing, I have GU ready to take with me, my running clothing is the same I always wear, I will take my iPhone and make sure it's charged, and I'll have my hydration belt (Nathan 1 bottle belt).  Really the route will have multiple hydration spots so I'm not too worried about it.  The only thing is, I don't like lime/lemon Gatorade and many times that is what is served so I'll just have to take it but I will have water in my belt too.
Q. What is your biggest fear?
A. Having to go number two during the race.  Those who know me well know that I have a thing with public restrooms lest alone port - o - pottys.  I just don't want to have to poop during the race.
Q. Is R going with you?
A. Yes, he is going to run the 10K distance while I run the 1/2 marathon.  I signed him up selfishly in hopes he would be inspired to keep running but he does not enjoy running so really he is just doing it to support me and my efforts.  I think he has developed an appreciation for my hard work.  I am thinking he will still enjoy going for a run after work 3 days a week - I just don't see him stopping since he has worked this hard.

1 comment:

MedicalArtMofo said...

Your worst fear was my reality.

I suffer from runner's colitis. Great thing to find out during marathon training....but also good to find out that I wasn't alone. (The wonderful topics of conversation that come up when you are running 16 miles with the same group) lol!

Good luck with your race!!! It's an amazing feeling and pretty soon you'll be training for a full!! :-)